12/22/10

SONIC: Legacy

I'll be quite honest, I have no idea why I drew this. I mean, I've seen the posters for TRON: Legacy and I've read a few scans from the Sonic comics, but really, there's no earthly reason why I would connect them in my mind. Maybe it's the ring/disc similarity.
Anyway, poster! The characters turned out to be trickier than I'd originally envisioned; this was my first time drawing either of them, and as it turned out, Sonic and Sally are basically the same height, whereas on the poster this is based on, Olivia Wilde is about a full head shorter than Garrett Hedlund. This made it impossible to place them in the exact same positions as the original (chest to chest, or rather head to chest). I had drawn and scanned in both character separately, so I had to do some digital manipulation to get Sally in a position where she could be standing next to Sonic with her hand on his chest, while keeping their overlarge heads at a reasonable distance from each other.
In another first for me, I combined hand-drawn characters with a computer-created background. The grass was fun to paint (experimenting with brushes and so on), as were the smoke and clouds. Instead of directly replicating the original poster's background landscape--dark and detailed--I just placed them in a representation of a game level. Blue sky, green grass, random earth tower, glimpses of the palm tree and yellow flower (please don't hurt me if this sounds ridiculous; I've never played the games and my knowledge is based off a two-minute Google Images crawl), as well as a random green Chao.
Well, I had fun making this, and I hope you have fun looking at it!

Drawn using:
No. 2 pencil (sketch)
Black 0.4 mm pilot pen
Black 0.5 mm pilot pen
Adobe Illustrator CS3
Adobe Photoshop CS3

No comments:

Post a Comment